Signs and Symptoms
Hammertoe is typically straightforward to identify on a simple physical examination. Symptoms include:
- A contracted or bent toe or toes.
- Corns or calluses between toes or on the top, side or end of the affected toes.
- Pain or irritation when the toes come into contact with the shoe.
Hammertoes and their symptoms generally worsen over time, as the friction between the foot and footwear becomes more severe. Over time, they can become rigid, and open sores may form.
If you are suffering from hammertoes, it is important to seek help sooner rather than later, as they will not heal without treatment. Treatment options include:
- Changing footwear
- Padding and professionally trimming the corns and calluses
- Custom orthotics (We use top of the line Computer “Tom-Cat” 3D scanning)
- Anti inflammatory medications
- Hammertoe procedures may also be recommended in more severe cases. In can be done in the office or Same Day Surgery.
You don’t need to suffer with hammertoes. Contact our office today for a consultation with our Board Certified Podiatric Surgeons, and we can begin down the road to treatment with you!